[X4U] mystery event in the night

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Mon Oct 31 08:37:42 PST 2005

All was well when I left the computer (G5 running 10.4.4) at the end
of the day. The next morning it was unwilling to do anything. No
amount of disk repair via installation CD or Diskwarrior tender
attention did anything to bring it to life.It would not start up
beyond that dull grey apple. Anyway to cut a long story short it's up
and running now but I wonder if anyone could throw some light on this
mystery event.

Over a half hour period in the middle of the night (modification date
were the clue) most non apple application disappeared from their
folders and those that did not showed generic icons and did not work.
It would be good to know what caused this if only to try and avoid it
happening again.

Anyone any idea?

Jan