[X4U] Re: permissions troubles +

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 10:27:03 PDT 2005

On 09/01/05, Cornett <cornett at gol.com> wrote, among other things:

> I'm still getting this weird "broken pipe" when trying to open the
> mounted decompressed file of Netscape v7.2 that I've been DLing
> numerous times at the 17.3Mb(unstuff'd at'round 53Mb) on DT,
> but I've never got a single workable. Any ideas??

I stopped using Netscape three years ago, so I can't help there.

>> Since your system is hosed, I think your best bet is to reinstall Panther,
>> using the Archive & Install option, selecting save network settings. See
>> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120> for details
>
> Thanx for the imput here John, but I'm still thinkin' that it could
> be the possible messed up Permissions problem (believed to have
> happened during either a CCC cloning or a re-cloning back move),
> and am hoping for a uRL link to what permissions the actual System
> is in need of kinda across the board like, anybody gotz one to share??,
> before, I hafta give up and dig up my ol'(untouched) originally
> cloned X.3.4 HD and start all over from virtual scratch.

When Disk Utility is used to repair permissions, it uses the Archive.bom
file within the packages stored in /Library/Receipts/. You can view one of
these by using the Terminal app command lsbom -p MUGf  followed by the path
to an Archive.bom file. See the manpage for lsbom, man lsbom, for details.
It's probably something you only want to do once. Also, see
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106712>.

> Is that Archive&Install akin to a clean System install in OS9 with
> an "old system" left to scavenge and trash later type deal?, and
> if'n so, what size Archive file is remaining after the re-install is
> completed?, and is it later trashable to regain the space?

You got it. The A&I option (see
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120> and related
documents) moves your current installation into a folder named Previous
System. So, you'll need about double what it currently takes up.