Looking at platforms objectively (was Re: [X4U] Re: Lack of sleep)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Sep 1 20:44:06 PDT 2005

At 7:13 PM -0700 9/1/05, Ted Burton wrote:
>At 5:34 PM -0700 on 9/1/05, Zane H. Healy spoke about Re: [X4U] Re:
>Lack of sleep thusly:
>
>>Overall, Mac OSX has the *worst* performance of any "Unix varient"
>>that I've used for any amount of time, and that includes Linux
>>(shoot it even makes WinXP look good).
>
>No one's keeping you from moving to Windows. If it's really better
>in your eyes, you should be using it. Lebe wohl.

Some people are capable of recognizing a platforms strengths and
weaknesses.  I might hate Windows, in part because I hate Microsoft
over their handling of OS/2, but I'm willing to admit that Win2k,
WinXP, and Win2003 all work quite well, and that they have their uses.

There is more to deciding which computer to use than just
performance.  You have to consider stability, security, reliability,
applications, and even previous investment in the platform.

Performance
WinXP wins over Mac OS X, BUT looses to just about anything else
besides Linux.  The best OS I've ever seen performance wise is IRIX,
it is simply astounding what an SGI system running IRIX can do, even
with a very slow CPU, and hardly any RAM by todays standards.
Totally bogged down, it's still nice and "smooth".  Along these
lines, I'd really like to see how Mac OS X would perform if Apple
would ditch the Mach Microkernel and run on top of a Monolithic
kernel.

Stability
In all honesty, Mac OS X and WinXP are very close.  A lot depends on
how the system is configured, the hardware, and what you run on it.
Personally, I prefer the stability of OS's such as OpenVMS or Solaris.

Security
Mac OS X wins hands down, but it's not secure enough for me (System 7
through Mac OS 9 were), that's why my important data resides on an
OpenVMS system.  Security issues are why I do my best to stay away
from WinXP.

Reliability
I'm going to give this to Mac OS X, but WinXP is fairly close.  Over
the years I've had reliability issues with both.  Again, both loose
to OS's such as OpenVMS or Solaris.

Applications
Neither platform wins.  Some apps I use are available on one platform
and not the other.  Mac OS X has the most of what I need though.
Virtual PC could run all except for one of the WinXP apps I need, but
it is to unreliable.

I've been using computers for 23 years now.  I started using Mac's in
January of '92 (within a week of when I started using Linux).  I
bought my first Mac 10 years ago, and have invested thousands of
dollars over the years just on software for my Mac's.  I would have
to re-buy all of the software I use.  This is probably one of the
biggest factors for most people.  Just for the software I use
regularly, this would amount to more than the cost of a computer.

For me one advantage to Mac OS X is that I don't *have* to have a
UNIX-based computer running at the same time, pretty much all of the
UNIX tools I need run just fine on Mac OS X.  Of course, I do still
have an SGI O2/R12k-270, and a Sun Ultra 60/2360 sitting alongside
the G5 2x2.

			Zane