[X4U] Lack of sleep

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Thu Sep 1 23:41:35 PDT 2005

On 1 Sep 2005, at 20:12, Michael Winter wrote:

>> On Aug 31, 2005, at 11:27 PM, Jan Melichar wrote:
>>

>>> Despite my best efforts my Mac (G5) will not automatically go to
>>> sleep in response to the preferences I have set. In the process
>>> off trying to track down the problem eventually I closed all
>>> application but still no sleep. Disk Utility reports no problems
>>> and Permission have been repaired after installing the latest
>>> update to Tiger.
>>>

> Its a long shot, but have you disconnected all peripherals

No because it does not seem practical to be turning off hard drives,
scanner and so on. If I wanted that much 'closing down' I might as
well put the computer to sleep via the Apple menu which in answer to
the question below it does and stays asleep till woken up.

> -particularly any network connections (including wireless) and
> anything else that may occasionally create some activity?

Ditto
> Even a misbehaving mouse or keyboard could be a problem (or a
> misbehaving pet messing with the mouse or keyboard).

Ditto

> One other question, can you get it to sleep by selecting it from
> the Apple menu? If so, does it stay asleep for the 15 minutes or
> so  of inactivity you have set to make sleep on its own? I'm just
> trying to determine if its not sleeping because it's sensing some
> time of activity.

Incidentally the G5 is a @GHz dual not the apparently troublesome
1.8.  Sound as if this is  one of those things one will have to live
with.

Thanks for the suggestions

Jan