[X4U] Re: Lack of sleep - What about widgets I wanna know

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Sep 2 10:16:51 PDT 2005

Eddie Hargreaves wrote:
> On 9/2/05 6:42 AM, Michael Winter <winter at mac.com> wrote:
>
> > But the real question is, do they still take that much real memory
> > when memory is running tight? I don't care if a widget takes 500 MB
> > of RAM if nothing else needs it. If its taking that much when I need
> > it for other apps, then its a problem.
>
> The widgets do not reduce their Real Memory based on how much is left for
> other apps. My Weather and Yahoo Traffic widgets are currently using 116MB
> of Real Memory each. When I launched InDesign, it had to create another
> swapfile so that InDesign could have some memory. The widgets are still
> using the exact same amount of memory.
>
> When the Weather widget is using 15MB less RAM than Photoshop 7, that just
> ain't right.

Wikes!  It sounds like the Widgets have the exact same problem as Safari.
Aren't Widgets Javascript based?  If so it wouldn't suprise me if they're
using parts of Safari for them.

Which reminds me, has anyone done any memory usage comparasions between
Safari and other browsers such as Firefox?

I for one would much rather have RAM for Eudora, Safari, MS Word, InDesign,
Photoshop, and X-Windows (running xterms and pan), which is my typical heavy
load, than have it taken up by widgets.

		Zane