[X4U] digital cameras

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Sat Sep 3 12:01:42 PDT 2005

Peter Apockotos wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2005, at 1:41 PM, Robert Ashton wrote:
>

>> Sorry that this is off topic. I am looking to purchase a digital
>> camera. Would 8mp look better printed on a 8*10 than 5 mp? Also
>> should a person be better to also make sure that the camera works
>> with raw files. TIA Bob

> Of course an 8MP will print better.
> And yes if you have a choice get a camera that supports RAW format.
> Most likely from Canon since Nikon is making their version proprietary.
>
> Peter Apockotos

You'll have a number of differing opinions on that point of view!
Here's mine...
If what you want to do is print a maximum size of 8X10 inches, a 5
megapixel camera will do just fine.

Geez! A long while back, I had a 1.3 MP camera, an Epson, with which I
took a number of photos I later had blown up to 8X10, and framed. Turned
out great! READ THAT AGAIN. 1.3 MP!

The usual viewing distance is meant to be something like at least 3 feet
away for enlargements that size. If that is followed, you probably won't
be able to tell the difference between a 3 MP image and an 8 MP image.
Truly!

If you plan to do a lot of Photoshop corrections and manipulations on
the image before you print it, the use of RAW images and a larger size
CCD is a good thing, no question.

But...if this is for YOU and for YOUR walls, and NOT for selling the
images to perfection freaks who go over the print with a magnifying
glass, or publication in a magazine, there is simply no need to go to 8
MP or above. It's plainly overkill.

Just my 2¢

keith whaley