[X4U] slooooow open and save

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Sep 4 16:54:01 PDT 2005

On 09/04/05, Jan Melichar <janmel at mac.com> wrote:

> Ever since installing Tiger opening files via applications 'open' and
> saving files has taken longer that usual (and slower than is System 6
> days)and it seems to be taking longer and longer (I almost feel like
> I have time to get a coffee!)I've run Disk Utility, repaired
> permission, Run Disk Warrior but the slowness persists. I'm loathed
> to reinstall - even archive install - and before I have to face that
> I wonder if there is something I'm missing. Any advice would be welcome.
>
> G5 dual 2GHz with latest system updates.

Start with these:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107199> and
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25392>.

Have you created another admin user account, logged into it, and see if the
problem persists? If that doesn't work, reinstall the 10.4.2 combo updater
again.

Finally, A&I isn't your only option. You could (really should) make a
backup (bootable clone) using CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper!, then just
reinstall Tiger on the malfunctioning HD and use the migration assistant to
copy everything else from the clone. Fastest and best way to reinstall.