[X4U] Consumer Reports

Neil Lists at mac.com
Thu Sep 8 10:36:55 PDT 2005

on 9/8/05 12:50 AM, Randy B.Singer wrote:

> RR said:
>
>> The reviews tend to
>> be pretty superficial for my tastes.
>

> Exactly.  And sometimes they are noticably unsophistocated.

Right. My father used to read CR religiously, but he was always astounded at
how misinformed the testers were about products my father was familiar with
(he was an HVAC contractor).  He seemed to just assume that the CR staff was
weak only in that one field.  My wife is a physician and has commented on
some of their medical advice.  It seems everybody I know who reads CR has
complaints about CR in whatever field they have knowledge, but the CR tests
sound so rigorous and the articles so well written that people give the
magazine more credibility than they otherwise would.  It looks like the
magazine has experts in testing, surveying, and writing, but not in the
products they evaluate.