[X4U] Consumer Reports

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Thu Sep 8 14:14:49 PDT 2005

Randy B.Singer wrote:

> Ted Burton said:
>

>>The only virus/worm I've heard of that have anything at all to do
>>with the MacOS X are those that use Microsoft Office script languages
>>to bung up Microsoft Office documents.
>

> There are no viruses that infect OS X specifically.  But there is malware
> that is at least minimally (very minimally) relevant to users of OS X.
>
> There are Microsoft macro viruses out there. Both for Word and Excel.
> Some of these are very malicious.

In light of which, I have a question.
I run Mac OS 10.3.9, and will be installing a brand new copy of MS
Office 2004 in about a week.
Valid reason? My wife uses PC programs at work, and has decided she
wants the ability to do some work-work on the home Mac.
So, back to having MS products on my Mac!  Sighhhh.

Anyhow, first question is, must you be actually using a Word or Excel
macro in order for the "macro virus/worm" to activate?
If I use the various parts of MS Office bareback, no macros, etc., do I
have to concern myself about viruses or worms?

If so, what's the least obtrusive solution that still works?
In your most humble opinion, of course!  <wink>

Should I install Office 2004 on a separate HD inside the CPU? Will that
isolate the probability of infection?
Awww, that raises a ton of other questions, and may not be practical in
the long run.

keith whaley