[X4U] IP address

Johns Maillist mymaillist at mac.com
Fri Sep 9 06:01:40 PDT 2005

On Sep 9, 2005, at 8:50 AM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> All have ethernet connections but they can't see each other while
> hooked on the hospital server.  They're also told by that dealer
> that it should work with an IP address.
> But it doesn't work.  All the help on the Apple site about network
> didn't help them either.
You say they all have ethernet connections, but I will assume you
mean internet connection If not, well, that does not help at all.
If they can see the internet, through the router, they have IP
addresses, and they would have been assigned by a DHCP server on the
network somewhere, or a big coincidence has happened.
But, not seeing other machines on the network is going to be a
permissions/sharing set up issue.
The labs network tech/administrator needs to go into the router to
make sure they are not locked out, and that the other machines on the
network have shares enabled.

> The strange thing is that they can print from some Macs, but only
> in black.  If they ask color, the printing is interrupted.
This is a totally different issue, not really network related in my
opinion. If they can print at all, they are reaching the printer, and
there is something with the printer or print software on the system.
Another question, are these printers all on one print server or
different machines.

HTH,