[X4U] Re: Malware (Was: Consumer Reports)

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Sep 9 11:27:54 PDT 2005

Randy B. Singer wrote:
> Yes.  There was even a virus that could take advantage of Outlook Express
> under OS 8/9 and mail itself out to other computers:

Somehow this one doesn't suprise me...

> It isn't that there were no viruses that could infect OS 8/9, it's just
> that as floppies became less common, the vector that the majority of
> classis Mac OS viruses were designed to be propogated by, they became
> less common.

Years ago, I'd read that changes to the OS made writing viruses far more
difficult.  I'm not sure where I read this, it was likely in some developer
material.

> In the DealMac forums is a discussion entitled: "Have you ever caught a
> Mac Virus?"  You might like to read the comments.
> http://dealmac.com/forums/read.html?f=1&i=952391&t=952391

Thanks, I've made it through the first page so far, it's interesting.

BTW, it might be worth noting that I've used a Mac for ~14 years, and owned
one for 10 years (purchased to run ClarisDraw and because of Windows 95).
I've used and owned PC's for about 18 years, and have owned computers for
~24 years.  I've even worked with computers full time for the last 15 years
(and part time for 3 1/2 before that).  In all that time I've seen 2
viruses, one was on a PC floppy that someone I supported came up with (I
actaully had to clean it up using my personal laptop, as that was the only
thing with Antivirus software, this was about 10 years ago).  The other time
was 3-4 years ago when my wife managed to get one by surfing the Internet on
a WinME laptop.  I wouldn't consider running a computer with a MS OS on it
without anti-virus software and anti-spyware software on it (I've run
Anti-Virus software on them for the last 15 years).

		Zane