[X4U] Re: Malware (Was: Consumer Reports)

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Sep 9 12:08:30 PDT 2005

Zane H. Healy said:

>I wouldn't consider running a computer with a MS OS on it
>without anti-virus software and anti-spyware software on it (I've run
>Anti-Virus software on them for the last 15 years).

Which brings up an interesting topic.  Mac users often wonder why Apple
doesn't play up the "no viruses" angle in its advertising.  Some folks
speculate that it is because that might draw more attention to the Mac
from virus writers.

However, I've done some speaking recently for Apple at tech shows, and
I've found that the "no viruses" angle doesn't actually motivate a lot of
Windows users to want to switch.  Geeky Windows users don't really
consider viruses to be a big problem.  They just keep their computers
updated with the latest anti-viral software and patches and they are
pretty safe.

Unsophistocated users of Windows are afraid of viruses, but I suspect
that they would be afraid of switching to a whole new computer even more.

So Apple may be right to keep low key about this.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html