[X4U] Re: Malware (Was: Consumer Reports)

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Fri Sep 9 13:05:14 PDT 2005

Zane H. Healy wrote:
> Randy B. Singer wrote:
>
>>Which brings up an interesting topic.  Mac users often wonder why Apple
>>doesn't play up the "no viruses" angle in its advertising.  Some folks
>>speculate that it is because that might draw more attention to the Mac
>>from virus writers.

> I'm inclined to go with this theory.  Having finished reading the thread you
> pointed me to, and seeing an article on this very subject on Slashdot just
> after reading that thread (watch out for line wrapping)
> http://zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Mac_community_must_wake_up_to_security/0,2000061744,39210762,00.htm
> I'm inclined to be a bit more paranoid, obviously there have been problems
> over the past 7-8 years that I've been totally unware of.  Maybe it is time
> I invest in some anti-virus software for my Mac...

I sort of started this sub-thread, in an oblique way, and I just
downloaded the program Randy suggested, Virus Barrier X®.
Might as well be as free from critters as I can _before_ I install a new
version of MS Office 2004. Fence the pasture before you let the new
horses out!

I did a scan of my H.D. first thing after installing it, and the enture
scan took only a few minutes, so it's fast too! A good selling point.

keith