[X4U] Re: Malware (Was: Consumer Reports)

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Sep 9 21:47:13 PDT 2005

keith_w said:

>I sort of started this sub-thread, in an oblique way, and I just
>downloaded the program Randy suggested, Virus Barrier X®.
>Might as well be as free from critters as I can _before_ I install a new
>version of MS Office 2004. Fence the pasture before you let the new
>horses out!
>
>I did a scan of my H.D. first thing after installing it, and the enture
>scan took only a few minutes, so it's fast too! A good selling point.

Virus Barrier is a pretty impressive program, isn't it?

But before the other folks on this list start flaming me for scaring
folks into purchasing anti-virus software that they don't need, let me
once again restate my position:

I don't think that most Mac users need anti-virus software.  There are no
OS X-specific viruses, and though there is some OS X malware out there,
all of it is either easily handled without having to resort to AV
software, or it is incredbily rare.

I use AV software myself because it is vitally important that my client
files not be exposed to any sort of risk whatsoever, but not many other
folks are in that position.  (I also use a UPS and multiple hard drives.
I think that these have their advantages too, but not everyone needs
these things either.)

So please don't think that I am advocating that you purchase AV software.
 You probably don't need it.

Randy B. Singer

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train
stops. On my desk I have a work station... - Steven Wright