[X4U] Power Mac G5 how many hard drives?

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Tue Sep 13 22:28:42 PDT 2005

It's a no brainer. All you do is split the power, swap out the ATA
cable from the included one port to a stock two port cable that comes
with the third PATA HD, slide out the optical, then hook up both and
put the HD in first then slide the Optical under it. It takes a
little juggling act to get the optical underneath. Mainly you open
the optical slot in front to hold the HD up while you slide the
Optical in under it. And remember to put screws in all four holes of
the HD so it will sit elevated above the optical for air flow to keep
it cool. I use duct tape on the side to make sure the HD doesn't slop
around. This way you can now put 1.4 net Terabytes inside with three
500 GB hds. I have 1.1 net Terabytes inside with three 400 GB drives.
I run all the rest outside via FW chains.
--
Taylor Barcroft
New Media Publisher, Editor, Video Journalist, Video Podcaster