[X4U] UPDATE: Trouble waking from sleep and restarting....

Samantha Cornell samantha at netresults.biz
Thu Sep 15 06:06:00 PDT 2005

After about on hour of troubleshooting (repairing permissions,
disconnecting peripherals, etc.) I have come up with nothing.  I booted
from the TechTools CD, set the tests to run, and went to bed.

This morning, I checked the iMac, and found that it was asleep.  When I
tried to wake it up, I got another screen with the rainbow lines.  The
hard-drive did spin to indicate that it had woken up, but I couldn't
get rid of the lines, and ended up having to cut the power once again.

I tried to reboot, and didn't get the standard chime, but instead a
longer higher pitched tone and a blank screen (dark grey or black, it
was hard to tell).  The hard-drive was spinning, but once again I was
stuck.

I was forced to cut power and reboot yet again, and this time the
process went fine.  I have now set the machine to not sleep (computer
and display) and for the moment, things are okay.

I am now convinced that there is a problem, I'm just not sure what it
is. Any and all suggestions are very much appreciated.

Also, I need to back up.  I have been far too lax with this.  I have
some clients files backed up on my iPod, but I would like to get an
external hard-drive and/or DVD drive.  Are there any deals out there?
Suggestions on the best back-up methods?

Thanks,

Samantha