[X4U] while trying to track

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Sat Sep 17 09:41:40 PDT 2005

On 17 Sep 2005, at 13:46, Jerry Krinock wrote:

> on 05/09/16 09:17, Jan Melichar at janmel at mac.com wrote:
>

>> strange behaviour on my G5 I notice a lot of empty folders with
>> 'names' such as '=FF=A4`' and '=A9=B4\'. Is this part of Tiger's =
charm or
>> something amiss?
>>

> I'd call it a "feature".  It is a warning to check your backup =20
> practices and
> make sure you are prepared for a hard drive failure.

Thanks for the comment Jerry - yes I had guesses that something was =20
amiss! I'm sorry for the implicit rather than explicit question - =20
namely what might be the cause of this? I know what I need to do I =20
just don't know (and would like to know) what caused this 'feature' =20
and some other problems that seemed to have affected another mac I =20
uses. For example I find that quite number of files have no =20
'creation' dates. These are files I use via iDisk which has also been =20=

behaving erratically - files and folders are slow to appear, open =20
etc..  I have switched iDisk off and on and re-synched it which all =20
take far too much time and makes me suspect it.

It's immensely useful to be able to work on the same files in =20
different places without having to drag a powerbook around but if the =20=

iDisk is causing these time consuming problems it's value is somewhat =20=

reduces which is why I'm keen to identify causes which might enable =20
me to make sensible decisions about the way I organise myself.

Any advice would be welcome

Jan=