[X4U] airport express and voip

Mitchell Senft ms53 at optonline.net
Mon Sep 19 01:32:41 PDT 2005

I have a wireless network consisting of an Apple Airport Express
wireless base station. Connected to it is a cable modem and a printer

Now I want to add a VOIP box but setting up this expanded network is
beyond me.

Simplest, I would think, is if there is some sort of Ethernet cable Y-
shaped splitter: one end goes from the cable modem and forks so one
wire can go into the VOIP box, one into the Airport Express.

But if that’s not possible, I assume I have to replace the AE. If so,
what are my options? I know the wireless cards had to be Apple
proprietary cards. But does that apple to the base station? Is a
cheap “generic” base station (wireless router”) possible with the
Mac? Or is Vonage VOIP service simply not Mac-compatible?

Thanks,

     Mitchell