[X4U] Restart problem

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Sep 22 19:13:44 PDT 2005

On 09/22/05, Michel Treisman <treisman at psy.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> If Option is held down, during Start or Restart, this allows the
> startup disk to be chosen at that time.
>
> But not for me.  It has stopped working, I don't know why.
>
> Where is the fault, and what can I do to put things right?

Fastest way to check if it's a corrupted OS thingy is to reset the
machine's defaults. Restart the machine booting into Open Firmware (holding
down these keys until you get a text screen: OPT+ CMD + O + F). Then, enter
these commands, following each with hitting the return key:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

For details, see <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60285>.
Note that, although the article is an overview for network servers, "most
of the information included applies broadly to all PCI Macintosh systems"
and is, IMHO, their definitive guide to Open Firmware and I recommend its
perusal.

If that works, you might have to reset some System Preferences.