[X4U] Can I use automator to synchronize Entourage G5<->PowerBook

Jerry Krinock jerry at ieee.org
Sun Sep 25 13:36:27 PDT 2005

on 05/09/25 07:55, Jim Robertson at jamesrob at sonic.net wrote:

> I use Synchronize Pro! X to transfer my Entourage database (Office 2004,
> 11.2.0) back and fourth between my Dual 1.8 GHz G5 minitower and my 1.25 GHz
> 15" Al-PB (both running OS X 10.4.2). Currently, I check manually to make
> certain that the Microsoft database daemon isn't running on either machine
> before doing the synchronization routine; if it is (on either machine), the
> synchronization program will recognize the database as changed on BOTH
> machines. I have two questions:
>
> 1. Does opening ANOTHER Microsoft Office application (not Entourage 2004)
> launch the daemon or change the Main Identity database?

I don'tknow, but if it puts up an Office Notification, the database daemon
itself will alter the database.

> 2. Is it likely that I could develop an Automator routine that would
> accomplish the following workflow:...

What you describe could definitely be done with a combination of AppleScript
+ the features in Synchronize! Pro X, so I guess it could be done with
Automator insteadof AppleScript (I have not played with Automator yet).

> Thanks so much in advance for any opinions/suggestions.

If you can't get your Aumatator to work, suggest to Qdea that they add this
feature to Synchronize! Pro X.  Since their $100 product is now competing
with a bunch of freebies, they need ways to add value to that thing.