[X4U] Panther Perma-Delete?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Sep 29 12:54:02 PDT 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 8:01 pm, Jesse Leo wrote:

> Setting up a Panther workstation and need a way to permanently erase
> files
> for security reasons. Is there anything out there that will do this
> securely
> and **AHEM** on the cheap? Id prefer not to have to install some big
> clunky
> expensive Symantec product or something...

I'm not sure whether you want to securely erase the drive before
installing Panther or whether you just want a utility for securely
wiping p0rn^w files that'll be stored on a workstation running Panther
- in either case look at GNU `shred`. In the former case boot to a
Linux LiveCD (such as Ubuntu) and `shred` the whole drive, in the
latter case you'll need to install it. GNU provides the source for the
whole utility but you'll probably find it easier to install using
something like Fink.

`shred` defaults to writing multiple iterations, alternating between
random & sequential 1s & 0s.

Stroller.