[X4U] airport and voip

Brian Lalor blalor at bravo5.org
Fri Sep 30 04:33:11 PDT 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 4:20 AM, Mitchell Senft wrote:

> Will I necessarily >have< to reset or reconfigure AirPort?

You shouldn't. I don't have an AirPort base station or express, but
for me, plugging my Vonage box into my network was literally a plug-n-
play affair.  It Just Worked, which is rare, even for Macs, these days.

Presumably your existing network looks something like this:

[computer] *** wireless *** [airport]---ethernet---[cable/dsl modem]--
 > (the internet)

In that case, just plug your VoIP box into the LAN (not WAN or
Internet) ethernet port on your AirPort.  Then plug the phone into that

{phone} -- phone cord -- [voip box] -- ethernet -- [airport] --- &c.

Your VoIP provider should be able to provide you assistance.  They
should document which ports need to make it in and out of your VoIP
box; these are typically UDP ports.

Hope that helps.

Brian Lalor / blalor at bravo5.org
     Why do the English drink warm beer? The refrigerator is a Lucas.