[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Wed Apr 5 11:14:01 PDT 2006

At 10:55 AM -0700, 4/5/06, Jim Robertson wrote:

>Now that Apple is doing what they said they wouldn't do back in January (I
>don't remember the exact quote, but it was something akin to "we don't care
>if you run Windows on your Intel Mac, but we won't support it or spend our
>time enabling it"),

The never said that they wouldn't allow it or provide software for
you to do it. They said that they wouldn't support it. You are on
your own if you decide to install and run Windows on your Mac. No
change from what they said.

>I would be VERY appreciative if those of you with knowledge/experience in
>such matters could speculate or review for us how well a particular solution
>to the cross-platform synchronization works. Specifically, Entourage or
>Address Book to 4SmartPhone.net (a low cost Exchange Server). Alternative
>Exchange Server solution suggestions would be just as welcome.

You do know I would guess that using the above solutions has nothing
to do with running Windows on your Mac right? They are done today
with Mac OS X.

>I'd envision doing almost all my work in the Mac environment whenever I have
>my desktop or laptop computer available. I'd use an Intel MacBook to update
>the databases for PocketPC-only handheld applications such as ePocrates and
>UpToDate (THE best handheld OR desktop medical information source currently
>available). I'd use ActiveSync and Windows XP on the MacBook to keep my
>contacts and calendar current on the Windows Mobile device, assuming I could
>then get the data back into Entourage in the Mac OS.
>
>So, does anyone know yet whether ActiveSync works on a MacBook booted into
>Windows XP?

Everything that works on a Dell PC will work on a MacBook (except for
that lousy missing serial and parallel port) :-)  You are running
Windows so ActiveSync works just fine. Along with your Anti-Virus,
Spyblocker, and Adaware software.

--

Robert Ameeti

The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.
            -- Henry Kissinger