[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Apr 5 15:34:03 PDT 2006

On 4/5/06 11:43 AM, "Robert Nicholson" <robert at elastica.com> wrote:

> I'd say it's only a matter of time before someone writes a virus that
> trashes the area that Bootcamp uses for it's configuration thus
> making the machine and both OS's unbootable.

Now THAT is a scary proposition. Are you saying this as someone who
understands the technical issues of emulating BIOS or just noting how easy
it is to infect a Windows box.

I would hope that the tools allowing a Windows XP installation would produce
a situation more like VPC; i.e., if that environment gets infected, it's
only the Windows space that gets trashed. My own use of Windows would be
JUST for local synchronization of my handheld or for secure connections to
my work environment, so I don't think I'd have much risk.

Jim Robertson