[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu Apr 6 05:32:24 PDT 2006

On 4/5/06 8:51 PM, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:

> Thus, that user will likely have a virus on their computer within 10
> minutes of having installed the OS and connecting to the Internet
> unless they have proper anti-virus software. This is just the reality
> of the Windows world.

Is it REALLY that bad? I cannot imagine the entire world tolerating such a
scenario.

In my case, I would imagine booting into Windows for only 3 reasons:

1. To synchronize with my PocketPC (Windows Mobile 5 edition).
2. To do work on local intranets at health care facilities
3. to upgrade software such as ePocrates that requires a desktop client to
"feed" the handheld version of the software.

The third of these obviously requires an internet connection, but I'd do it
behind a router with NAT. Windows XP ships with low cost virus software
(free for basic protection, I think).

Supposing one doesn't boot into Windows except when behind a router, and
then only visits https sites (NEVER receiving email or straying to the
darker corners of the web), how risky is that scenario?

I'm adding up the cost of all this, and I've discovered just how expensive a
new, shrink wrapped copy of XP Pro really is (over $300). It's not an
inexpensive proposition, and that alone may invalidate the notion of people
"trying it" to see if they prefer the Mac OS. For example, let's say I'm
considering a new laptop. I go to www.dell.com, configure a 1.83 GHz Intel
Core Duo with a DVD read/write drive, bluetooth, an 80 Gbyte drive, WiFi
card, and Windows XP Pro. It's $1766. The MacBook Pro (same speed and drive)
is $1850 if I'm smart enough to get the rebate from Amazon, but then I need
to spend another $300 or more to get XP Pro. I don't think there will be
many "lookers" taking that leap.

It sounds as though the requirements are pretty stringent for the Windows OS
installation. I though perhaps I could use the XP Pro I received with VPC.
Apparently not. I have a copy of XP Home edition that's not in use, but I
don't think I'd be able to install an "upgrade" copy of XP Pro and verify my
"upgrade" on what would look to the installer like a naked drive just by
inserting the XP Home Edition (as one can do with MS Office installations).

Jim Robertson