[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 6 13:00:26 PDT 2006

On 6 Apr 2006, at 16:06, Robert Ameeti wrote:

> The license is restricted to be purchased by System Builders ... or
> is Microsoft just putting stuff on paper that means nothing?

Yes. This is the nature of shrink-wrap software licenses.

In any case where the software license terms you "agree to" in
opening the software packet are at odds with local law and statutory
consumer rights then local law will prevail.

>> We're starting to see PCs regularly at the local dump
>
> So you are thinking that the average Mac user is going to go to the
> dump to get a number....

No, they're simply going to not throw away their old PC in the first
place and keep the license number off it. But really I was just
illustrating how cheap & plentiful OEM keys are.

> so that they can call up Microsoft and say that they just upgraded
> a bunch of components of the computer and it is the same computer
> and Microsoft should authenticate their Mac?

The procedure when authorising an OEM copy of Windows XP is to phone
up, enter the 30 digit number on your telephone touchpad, hear that
the authorisation has failed, be put through to a service
representative (UK calls are router though to India) and read out the
30 digit number again. Any CD key that has been authorised once
already will fail, in order to add a human being to the procedure
(and presumably discourage pirates) but that human being will without
fail authorise the installation as long as you answer "this is the
only computer on which the software is installed", "I just
reinstalled Windows because I got a virus" and "it was preinstalled
on the machine when I bought it"; if you have undertaken this
procedure it is quite clear that it is all a formality.

> I'm thinking there is a hole here when Microsoft's XP
> authentication validator sees the MAC address as being from Apple.
> Kinda throws a monkey wrench in the works, don't you think?

The validator quite clearly does not asses that - indeed, you can
create more than one validation key from the same license key.
Demonstrate that for yourself by installing Windows XP then running
the activation wizard. Instead of activating it choose to change the
license key and enter the same one again - you will see a new
validation key is generated.

It may be possible to determine the MAC address from the validation
key, but Microsoft are clearly not operating at that level. Besides,
if they blocked MAC addresses belonging to Apple computers they'd get
their asses sued off - the terms of the OEM license clearly allow me
to "build a system" by buying an Apple Mac and adding memory to it
for resale.

> And o by the way, that license number on that computer at the dump
> was a OEM license as well so it will only install using the
> original disks that the manufacturer supplied with that computer.

No, it'll work with any OEM CD. Although Dell & Packard Hell add
software components (media players, antivirus software, additional
drivers) to the reinstallation CDs that they supply with their
computers Microsoft also sell OEM CDs to small system builders as an
off-the-shelf component; these all use the same OEM key and can be
purchased from any large vendor of PC components (some require the
purchase of a "validating" piece of hardware, such as a 50p EIDE
cable, but this is to keep on Microsoft's good side and maintain a
wholesale relationship, not because the licensing conditions are
legally enforceable).

Stroller.