[X4U] Black Screen with white words saying operation not supported by device...

Lee Licata lazilicata at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 13:48:01 PDT 2006

Hi,

Have a 17" PB (Leeze), running 10.4.5 with all updates.

Sometimes, but not always, when I startup the PB, after tones, but
before the blue backdrop shows up, a black screen with the following
words shows up:

Leeze getty: /dev/console: Operation not supported by device

A review of the system console log shows the following two lines just
after this one that appears on the black screen:

Leeze launchd: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/console,
sleeping
Leeze /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/
loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

If I wait about 30 seconds, PB starts up normally.

Using cocktail, made all files visible.

Found the folder "dev" at the root but the folder "console" is an
alias. Could not find the original.

Relogged in as "root" and still could not find the original.

Thought maybe it had something to do with my headphones being plugged
in, but words still appear...

Also, words do not seem to appear during a restart...

Have run disk utility. Started up on a different disk and repaired
main hard drive. Nothing abnormal noted.

Even started up as a single user and forced an fsck repair (hope I
got the acronym right..)

Plum out of ideas...

Anyone suggest something?

Lee