[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu Apr 6 19:38:05 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06 7:14 AM, "Stroller" <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> there's no clear indication in your post
> that you need the Professional edition of XP over the Home edition.

I know virtually nothing about the various flavors of XP. I bought XP Pro
for two computers in our office because I read something that said that if
there were more than five nodes on a network XP Pro was the better choice.

If I have a laptop (MacBook Pro) that joins a network occasionally, but the
network has 8-20 machines on it, and I configure the Windows partition to be
a DHCP client of our DSL router, can it be running XP Home edition?

Is XP Pro better configured to avoid infections?

I've asked as many people as I had time to today about their experiences
with viruses and spyware. One person told me he had a computer on his office
LAN that Ad-Aware claimed to find 1400 spyware executables running on. Is
that possible?

Most people said they'd had viruses they were aware of at least once, and
several said they'd had to "clean up" a contaminated machine with
substantial downtime.

Hearing these stories, I'm amazed that people just roll over and accept it.

By the way, thanks for yours and Robert's very informative and useful
replies to my naïve questions.

Jim Robertson