[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Thu Apr 6 19:45:09 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06 9:06 AM, "Steve Self" <steveself at mac.com> wrote:

>> In my case, I would imagine booting into Windows for only 3 reasons:
>>
>> 1. To synchronize with my PocketPC (Windows Mobile 5 edition).
>
> Maybe I am missing something here... If this is the senario, are you
> not sync'ing only data stored in the PC partition? So all contacts
> and appointments and notes have to be within the Windows OS... And
> you can only view them when booted up in Windows, right?  So why not
> just stay in Windows all the time?

Well, I did list reasons 2 & 3 as well. I may not have been clear, but I
need to run some things that ONLY work on PocketPCs that use WM5. VPC won't
work with WM5 (I've tried, as have many other folks). The version of
ActiveSync that works with WM5 (4.1) is needed for some of these PocketPC
medical applications.

I wouldn't need to go to Windows to get phone numbers. In fact, the only
reason I'd bother getting the contacts data into Outlook in Windows (using
an Exchange Server) is so that I can get them in the mobile device using
ActiveSync. When I'm on my Mac, I'll use Windows ONLY for those VERY
specific things. Perhaps Parallels will suffice for what I need. I've
received my MacBook Pro, but I think I'll wait a few days to decide how to
try cramming Windows into it.

Jim Robertson