[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Fri Apr 7 07:01:03 PDT 2006

On 4/6/06 8:08 PM, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:

> Boot Camp can use XP Pro or XP Home. The hack of a few weeks ago must
> use XP Pro.
>
> If you are going to need to join a Domain (a workgroup that is
> centrally authenticated by a domain controller), then you need XP
> Pro. If you are just going to join a workgroup of computers (10 or
> less), then you can use XP Home.
>
> XP Pro has additional features that make it a worthy OS over the Home version.

Sounds as though I should keep $150 in my pocket and get XP Home for now. By
the time my practice comes into the late 20th (not 21st) century, I'll
probably need to install Vista anyway :-)

Any idea whether once one installs XP Home on an Intel Mac, that OS can be
upgraded to XP Pro?

Thanks again for all the help. I'm curious about the reports saying that
Parallels is so speedy. Could that be because it doesn't enable some things
and therefore can't waste time keeping track of them?

Jim Robertson