[X4U] New recruit mustered out of Boot Camp :-(

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sat Apr 8 07:51:29 PDT 2006

Brought home my shiny (OK, matte) new MacBook Pro, my copy of Windows XP
Home (painful purchase price), and a weekend off to set it up. I updated the
firmware after running Software Update (the MacBook came loaded with 10.4.5
and required about a dozen other updates out of the box, so likely was an
early machine).

I updated the firmware, launched Boot Camp Assistant, clicked the button to
burn my drivers and...

Up popped a dialog saying I had no device for burning.

About this Mac tells the same story.

Just to be sure, I inserted a blank writeable CD. The mechanism swallowed it
and it spun for a bit, but nothing else happened. The mechanism doesn't
respond to pressing the eject key, either from within Boot Camp Assistant or
if I reboot the MacBook and hold down the eject key.

My hope is that it's just the data cable not seated correctly. Back to the
Apple Store as soon as it opens this morning. Should I demand a new machine
(perhaps if I tell them I'm willing to get the 2.0 GHz instead of the 1.87 I
bought that might swing the balance in that negotiation)?

With previous Macs, I'd just open it up and check the cable, but I'm leery
of doing that when there might be something else wrong.

I think this is the first Mac I've ever owned that had something DOA out of
the box.

Bummer.

Jim Robertson