[X4U] New recruit mustered out of Boot Camp :-(

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Sat Apr 8 08:46:10 PDT 2006

On Apr 8, 2006, at 8:30 AM, Stroller wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2006, at 15:51, Jim Robertson wrote:
>
>> Brought home ..., my copy of Windows XP
>> Home (painful purchase price)...
>
> For anyone who's still not getting it:
>
> OEM
>
>    Home edition, $89.95
>       http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102059
>
>    Professional edition $139.95
>       http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102062
>
> RETAIL
>
>    Home edition, $199.95
>       http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837116193
>
>    Professional edition, $249.95
>       http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837116195

Regardless of whether you think Microsoft's license is legal and/or
enforceable, the drawback to OEM copies of Windows is that Microsoft
considers them to be tied to the first computer that they are
installed on. Others have said that a phone call to Microsoft will
get you around this, but there's no guarantee that this will always
be the case as they have been getting more and more anal about
licensing lately.

Phil
--
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they