[X4U] MirrorAgent failing to quit as cause of multiple lockups

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sun Apr 9 12:26:00 PDT 2006

Hi everyone,

I've noticed--over many iterations of OSX, with several fresh
installations--that one of the only times I get a sort of a freeze is
when MirrorAgent locks up/fails to quit.

The usual scenario is that I will have an application that is hung,
and refuses to be force-quit, doesn't show up in Terminal, but DOES
show up in command-option-escape.  I will force-quit it, but it still
shows up in the Dock.  When I close the Force-Quit window and reopen
by cmd-opt-esc, it will still show up.

Anyways, what usually happens is that I attempt to restart or logout
to fix the problem...except that the logout/restart process won't
occur, and I get a message that "Logout has timed out because the
application MirrorAgent failed to quit. To try again, quit
MirrorAgent and choose Log Out from the Apple menu."

Unfortunately, if I try to quit MirrorAgent using either Terminal or
Activity Monitor, the process restarts immediately.

I have noticed that, if I uncheck automatic iDisk Syncing in the .Mac
control panel, that I'm able to logout.  Except I need my iDisk files
available quickly instead of over Apple's glacially slow webDAV
implementation.

Has anybody else noticed this lockup?

FYI...this is occuring on my new Intel Core Duo iMac, and occurred
with some regularity with my G4 iMac.

Thanks!

Michael