[X4U] synchronizing to an ibook

Kuestner, Bjoern Bjoern.Kuestner at drkw.com
Mon Apr 10 01:07:12 PDT 2006

> I own a G4/450 AGP and an iBook/800.
> I want to use the iBook as a backup for my G4.
> [...]
> However I cannot simply clone the G4 since the two systems
> must differ somehow (not the same ROMs and anyway Apple prohibits this).

No, Apple does not. Technically with OS X you should just do fine if you
want to do a 1:1 copy of everything: System and Library, Applications, User.

There are some things that don't need to be copied (caches). Use Carbon Copy
Cloner and it will only copy what is needed.

Only trick to pay attention to: The version of OS X that you use must be new
enough for both Macs. For instance I recently tried to boot my G4 iBook from
my Tiger disc and it failed, because this iBook requires 10.4.something
whereas the DVD was 10.4.0.

But then, when this iBook had to go to repair, I duplicated the internal
drive to an external FW-drive. Then I told my old G3 iBook to boot from that
disk and worked with this setup while the G4 was in repair. After it came
back, I copied the synchronized the external drive back to the G4 internal
with all the new mails etc.. Almost no problems at all with this switch.

"Almost"? Yes, because for some reason my Airport settings are never
correctly transfered. I always have to set them by hand. And of course
iTunes requires that both computers are authorized to play back purchased
songs.

Björn