[X4U] OT windows on imac

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Wed Apr 12 10:52:37 PDT 2006

At 1:33 PM -0400, 4/12/06, TjL wrote:

>On 4/12/06, Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:
>
>>  Yes, with a Windoze box, you always have to be concerned.
>
>Not if you follow some sensible steps for self-protection.

>  > Yes, you must have anti-virus software installed and running at all
>>  times and also have some firewall (built-in or 3rd-party) enabled.
>
>Actually if you don't use Outlook Express and IE, you can pretty
>much turn off the automatic scanning of antivirus protection

Any email program, Eudora, Outlook, or ANY email program, web
included, can and will transmit virus infected attachments. It is not
Outlook Express that only receives email attachments. And email
attachments from your best friend can and will have infections. The
only issue that separates Outlook Express from the others is that is
serves very well as a post office for spam bots that will enable you
to be the sender of spam to others.

>and just scan files that you download.  But since you are only
>downloading reputable software that you really need from trustworthy
>sources and certainly are NOT going to download possibly illegal
>"free" or "cracked" versions of programs from unsafe sources, you're
>good.

Viruses come from reputable companies as well as others.

>Indeed... and again I'll say, if you are setting up a user account
>for your offspring, make it a NON-administrator account.  That will
>prevent them from installing stuff that can muck up the works

Nope. It will limit the number of things that they can do but it will
not prevent all installations. Many malwarts have figured out how to
do drive by installs on non admin accounts.
--

Robert Ameeti

"If you raise your children to feel that they can accomplish any goal or task they decide upon, you will have succeeded as a parent and you will have given your children the greatest of all blessings."
~   Brian Tracy