[X4U] OT windows on imac

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Wed Apr 12 11:13:44 PDT 2006

At 2:07 PM -0400, 4/12/06, TjL wrote:

>Granted... I was assuming that the end user in question was smart
>enough not to open attachments.  Outlook Express has, in the past, had
>exploits where you didn't even have to open the message (simply
>previewing it was enough).
>
>If you're dumb enough to randomly open/run/execute attachments from
>stangers, not even OS X is safe for you.

But most users have their preview pane open. And executables can come
from inline attachments.

>  > >and just scan files that you download.  But since you are only
>>  >downloading reputable software that you really need from trustworthy
>>  >sources and certainly are NOT going to download possibly illegal
>>  >"free" or "cracked" versions of programs from unsafe sources, you're
>>  >good.
>>
>>  Viruses come from reputable companies as well as others.
>
>Um, what?  I'm not talking about an email virus which was forged to be
>from a reputable company, I'm talking about going to a website and
>downloading their software.
>
>If they are distributing viruses, they aren't reputable.

Is Yahoo reputable? Most people would say so.

<http://news.com.com/Yahoo+IM+users+get+more+than+they+bargained+for/2100-1032_3-5845886.html?part=rss&tag=5845886&subj=news>
--

Robert Ameeti

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left.