[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

TjL luomat at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 20:19:32 PDT 2006

On 4/7/06, Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> XP's security out-of-the-box is clearly unacceptable, but all the
> stories you're hearing surely relate to machines which are installed
> without adequate ant-virus. If you install decent anti-virus and
> resist downloads from the most obvious porn sites you'll be ok.

XP SP2's out-of-the-box security isn't really all that different than
OS X.  It has the firewall enabled by default.

The real security hole is IE6 and users who install stuff they
shouldn't.  The former is avoided in OS X... the latter is where OS X
is most vulnerable.

> Anti-spyware programs like Ad-Aware are remarkably paranoid and will
> include even cookies in their reports; if I go to http://
> www.nytimes.com/ I see adverts for an airline and for HP laptops -
> these ads surely have associated "tracking" cookies to enable the
> advertising aggregators to link viewers of the NY Times with any
> other site on which you might see advertising from the same
> advertising agency. Since these cookies provide no personally-
> identifiable information most of us don't consider them privacy-
> infringing and we surely have many of them stored in Safari's cache
> of which we are unaware.

Indeed.  Ad-Aware etc like to find as many possibly "security"
problems so as to justify their existence

TjL