[X4U] Implications of Boot Camp

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Mon Apr 17 00:16:19 PDT 2006

On Apr 16, 2006, at 8:33 PM, TjL wrote:

> On 4/7/06, Jim Robertson <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:
>> On 4/6/06 8:08 PM, "Robert Ameeti" <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:
>>
>>> XP Pro has additional features that make it a worthy OS over the
>>> Home version.
>
> IMO, XP Pro's only real useful feature is Remote Desktop, which
> actually works really well.

Perhaps that would be better said, "If you don't have a multi-
processor machine and/or don't work in a corporate environment ...".

>> Thanks again for all the help. I'm curious about the reports
>> saying that
>> Parallels is so speedy. Could that be because it doesn't enable some
>> things and therefore can't waste time keeping track of them?

The reason that Parallels (or more clearly) Windows (or any other OS)
runs so quickly on Parallels is quite simple. While Parallels does
abstract away the underlying hardware, including the processor, with
an emulation layer, in the end you're running Intel binaries on an
Intel (or compatible) processor. It's really that simple.

> There are a lot of pages out there about optimizing XP. The default
> eye candy does really slow it down. There are several steps to turn
> stuff off that you can find under "optimize xp" in Google.

Many of these pages are very misleading about how much improvement in
performance you can get with tweaking or optimizing XP. Some of them
even make suggestions that will actually slow down your machine or
break XP. Proceed with caution -- stick to professionally run sites
like PC Magazine and applications like Cacheman XP that limit the
changes you can make to those that are useful under some circumstances.

Phil
--
"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though
she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I