[X4U] Printing from remote location to IP printer on my LAN?

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Fri Apr 21 21:05:11 PDT 2006

How about if they sent you PDF files? Then you could print multiple
copies when you needed them.

The 16/600 can have an additional paper tray added. I have one, it
holds 500 sheets,  and I would imagine that you might find one on
eBay. I use my 16/600 to print envelopes with the add on envelope
feeder. This printer has been in service for about a decade and still
works great.

I am sure you could set up an FTP site for the transcriptions to be
uploaded and probably even do some sort of apple script to auto
download and print the PDF files. Or you could use a .Mac account for
the temporary storage of the PDF files. I use a .Mac account (the
public folder) to move files to and from one of my printer locations.
It takes a couple of extra steps to set up a Windows user to be able
to access the .Mac account but it really is pretty simple.

There certainly are other options for multi tray laser printers too.
I have an HP 2430 that came with the extra tray which I have been
very pleased with. It is much faster than the Apple 16/600,
unfortunately HP didn't make an envelope feeder for it. :(

If you have a static  IP address I'd guess doing the off site
printing would be feasible. Of course you would need to keep the
paper trays topped off, especially if the printing was going to
happen during off hours. One other consideration that comes to mind
is how many pages would you be printing? The receiving paper tray on
most of the printers I have seen have a limited space, perhaps a
couple hundred page capacity and after that you have a really
impressive mess to pick up!

Jens
...lost in Montana...