[X4U] How to SSH and report a system sample?

Nick Scalise nickscalise at cox.net
Sat Apr 22 09:17:25 PDT 2006

On Apr 22, 2006, at 10:56 AM, Michael Elliott wrote:

> But won't Apple be looking for more things than top provides?  I
> wonder if they're looking for more information such as when you get
> a kernel panic or when an app crashes and you can send the bug
> report to them.  I'm talking about all that crazy text that shows
> up in Console logs and such.
>
> Is there some sort of Terminal command for a "system state" or
> something?

I'm not really sure what Apple wants. Maybe they could explain to you
what they want?

That said, there is a way to run System Profiler from the command
line, which you could output to a file too:

system_profiler >>system_profile.txt

Next, console logs are in /var/log

To see that folder from the Finder, click the Go menu and choose 'Go
to Folder'. In the dialog that opens, enter /var/log and then the log
directory will be viewable to you. The .gz files are Gzip compressed,
but if you double click them, they will uncompress. The .log files
are just plain text and will open in most any text editor.

Copy everything out of that directory and working on the copies.
--
Nick Scalise
nickscalise at cox.net