[X4U] Re: Parallels vs. Boot Camp

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Mon Apr 24 00:20:23 PDT 2006

Robert Ameeti <robert at ameeti.net> wrote:

>At 3:05 PM -0400, 4/22/06, PoolMouse wrote:
>
>>boot camp is worthless for users who need to run windows applications.
>
>Huh? How's that?
>
>My son needs to have a PC when he gets to his PC client, and then
>when he goes home, he wants his Mac. Works perfectly well for him.
>Stable and fast.

hi robert,

you're right, that didn't sound right. i should have writen
"...worthless for users who need to run windows applications while
booted into osx." boot camp is awesome - IF you have the luxury of
being able to boot into windows...then depending on how you formatted
your partition, you may or may not be able to access your data from
the mac osx partition (fat vs ntfs).

>  >virtualization (right now parallels) gives us the ability to furnish
>>users with a fast/solid windows system from which they can run
>>windows apps.
>
>He tried Parallels and got Kernal Panics way too often. Given that it
>is beta, it is understandable but Kernel Panics are not fun when you
>are trying to get work done.

parallels is the first virtualization being developed for osx. the
last version took care of many of the kernel panics - but there's a
couple more versions due before it's ready for prime time. my openvms
buddies say it's looking good. but you're right...it ain't there
yet...but when it is, it's going to bring apple some business...a lot
of business.

thanks,
don
--