[X4U] Re: Parallels vs. Boot Camp

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Mon Apr 24 00:31:23 PDT 2006

Eugene <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 02:05:59PM CDT, PoolMouse
><poolmouse_nyc at mac.com> wrote:
>
>: boot camp is worthless for users who need to run windows
>: applications.
>
>Really?  Can you be less specific?
>
>: citrix is a great solution (as long as the server farm
>: is robust and clinet is configured correctly). virtualization (right
>: now parallels) gives us the ability to furnish users with a
>: fast/solid windows system from which they can run windows apps. my
>: gripe is that parallels uses an image instead of our boot camp
>: partition.
>
>So not being able to run Parallels from your Boot Camp partition
>makes it "worthless for users"?

sorry...see my many rebuttals...i definitely didn't word my post
correctly. boot camp is great if you have time to boot into it and if
you don't care about getting to your data (fat isn't as stable as
ntfs but it's the only option if you need to get to osx data while
booted into windows). parallels (virtualization) is the s**t, or it
will be once it matures. beta v4 is looking good and they're fixing
the kernel panics as they get panic reports...one post on another
admin lists pleads with the makers of parallels to stop whipping
their programmers and let them go to sleep - they're working hard on
getting parallels up to speed for public release. my openvms buddies
say virtualization in osx via intel is going to shake up the market.
we can finally offer our clients a way to use both os's without
losing speed/stability (um, we WILL be able to once parallels
matures).

ps, as i just posted in a previous rebuttal, if apple uses windows
api's to get windows apps to run without windows, how cool will that
be?

:)
don

--