[X4U] Re: Parallels vs. Boot Camp

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 28 15:12:24 PDT 2006

On 27 Apr 2006, at 20:08, Eddie Hargreaves wrote:

>>> With Parallels, you need to purchase a copy of Windows, right? ...
>>
>> yes, you're right. i was thinking of clients/users who already own
>> windows.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but a copy of Windows XP that is in use
> must be
> activated for that computer via the Internet within 30 days of
> installation.

This is correct.

> So if you installed a pre-owned copy of Windows XP onto your Intel
> Mac, you
> would not be able to activate it because it's already considered in
> use on
> the PC.

You are able to install retail editions of Windows XP on another
machine if you (can state that) you have removed it from the machine
which it was originally installed. If you are buying a second-hand
copy of Windows XP then you should probably ensure that it is a
retail edition, that the vendor has uninstalled it from his PC, that
the CD is hologrammed and that the license number is provided on its
original packaging.

> Thus you would need an un-activated copy of Windows XP.

Nope. A since copy of Windows XP may be legitimated activated many
times, as explained above.

> Do many clients/users own a copy of Windows that is unused?

I am starting to see copies of Windows XP on an irregular basis that
might be considered surplus to requirements. Nowadays I'd think that
the people who build & upgrade their own PCs, buying retail copies of
Windows to install upon them, are very much in the minority but at
one time this was very common practice. XP has been around 4 or 5
years now, and some of these machines, upgraded over the best part of
a decade, are still going... even if, eclectic collections of cheap
hardware components that they are, they are not going strong.
Typically PCs this age are not worth upgrading, considering the price
of a new Dell with XP preinstalled and it prolly wouldn't be too hard
to find a legitimate retail edition of XP for a reasonable price on
the second-hand market.

Stroller.