[X4U] low sound volume

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sat Aug 5 15:44:35 PDT 2006

On 8/5/06 12:21 PM, Jan Melichar wrote:

> Returning to my mac (G5, 10.4.6) after being away for ten days I find
> the the sound level is very low despite being set to maximum (in
> system preferences as well as in application iTunes, EyeTV, Real
> Player, Bais etc.
>
> Sound output is via JBL speakers which I have unplugged and
> replugged. The sound through the mac's own puny speaker is also
> unusually low.
> Any suggestions how to bring things back to audible levels would be
> very welcome.

Jan,

Reboot in Safe mode -- hold down the Shift key when you reboot. The chime
should be horrendously loud (at least, mine is). It takes a while, because
the computer does some sort of disk check (equivalent to fsck -y?). After
the machine is booted, is your sound normal? Certain things are disabled
during a Safe boot; if your sound is normal, you know you've got a software
problem. The disk check is sometimes enough to fix problems on its own, too;
you might find subsequent boots are of "normal" volume.

If none of that works, then let me ask you where you went for ten days...
any chance you suffered some hearing loss during your absence? ;-) You know,
maybe you were on tour drumming for Metallica, or something... ;-) J/K.