[X4U] Leopard Features

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Tue Aug 8 22:31:04 PDT 2006

> Think this will put Dantz outta business?

I don't think so, but they will definitely feel the impact.

Let's get the technical details first: Can Time Machine handle
backups to optical media. If so, how well does it handle CDs, DVD_R, -
_RW, -RAM, HD-DVD and BD? Tape drives (thinking about businesses)?
Laptops that have only one drive attached most of the time? How
configurable is it to really make everybody happy.

But I'm excited about Time Machine. Finally Apple does something
about what is most valuable to the user: his/her data. I have always
found it a shame that they do not offer even the simplest backup
application with OS X, unless you resort to the Terminal or subscribe
to .Mac. I think that backup is a much more critical part of the OS
than, say, including iChat. All the demoed Time Machine features
immediately remind of the features that are possible with ZFS, Sun's
next-generation filesystem: Versioning, "backups" across multiple
drives. There was one indication that Apple had interest in porting
ZFS to the Mac. After that, all quiet. But given Apple's
communication policy, maybe that quietness plus the demonstration of
Time Machine is a good sign. From the text on the Apple page it looks
less like ZFS, actually, but more like a traditional file syncing
solution. We'll see.

Björn