[X4U] iTunes volume adjustment

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sun Aug 13 16:25:30 PDT 2006

At 7:53 AM -0400 8/13/06, Fred Pryor wrote:
>On Aug 13, 2006, at 3:23 AM, midiboy at mac.com wrote:
>>On Aug 13, 2006, at 2:02 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>
>>>I'm running 10.3.9 and iTunes 6.0.5 and have run into a very
>>>annoying problem.  One of the things I've really liked about
>>>iTunes is that it can automatically adjust the playback volume.
>>>For some reason my system seems to have stopped doing this.  Not
>>>sure when this happened as I've not been using iTunes much (I
>>>normally listen to LP's).
>>
>>Under Preferences, check "Soundcheck" which acts as a
>>compressor/limiter to even out the volume between tracks, at the
>>cost of some fidelity.

>But Sound Check doesn't work. On long drives my wife won't let me
>use our, my, iPod since we need to adjust the volume with most every
>song. That happens even if listening to just the purchased music
>playlist, where I would have though all the music coming out of the
>iTunes music store would have been digitized at the same levels.

Did "Sound Check use to work for you?  It used to work for me, but no
longer is.  This is most annoying.  No idea on the iPod, as I don't
own one.  I like using iTunes as a "radio", I've got all my old CD's
loaded up (these days I only buy vinyl), and have it grouped by types
of music and set to shuffle.  I've not had problems with the varying
sound levels since I set the "sound check" option a few years ago,
but it's probably been several months, and at least one, if not more
updates to iTunes since I last listened to anything with iTunes.

		Zane