[X4U] Bigger drive, less space? [Solved]

Bill White billwhite at mac.com
Wed Aug 16 16:49:26 PDT 2006

Sigh. In hindsight, the answer is *so* simple that I'm embarrassed for
wasting everyone's time.

When does a newer, larger drive have pretty much the same amount of free
space as the prior drive? When it's the same size as the prior drive!

The Apple Store gave me a 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro, which has a 100 GB drive;
the (current) 2 GHz model has an 80 GB drive. As my old machine was 2 GHz I
assumed it had had an 80 GB drive as well...but in fact the original 2 GHz
machines shipped with a 100 GB drive. I discovered that when I got home
tonight and looked at its old box.

Anyway, "mystery" solved, and I apologize for the waste of bandwidth!

Thanks for the help,

-Bill