[X4U] usb printer link - good but not perfect

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Tue Aug 22 06:36:29 PDT 2006

I connected my old LaserWriter Select 360 to a colleagues G4 so she
would have a printer handy by her side and to relive the queue for
other printers. This meant using a USB to serial cable. After
selecting the printer in system preference connection was made and
the printer worked straight away. Unfortunately now it works
sometimes but at other times - quite arbitrarily as far as I can tell
and in any application - the 'job stops'.  It can of course be
restarted so printing can continue but as you can imagine it can be
irritating especially when doing a lot of printing.
Can anyone throw any light on this oddity.

Jan