[X4U] iTunes Missing files

John Daschbach jldasch at mac.com
Tue Aug 22 08:01:10 PDT 2006

I have a problem with my iTunes database.  There are music files that
do not show up in iTunes no matter how I look for them (find all
songs by a particular artist, sorting by file name, ...) but they are
in the iTunes folder structure.  I tried a couple things to try and
check or fix the situation but they didn't work.  When it happens I
am missing an entire folder of music.

1.)	Export the library from iTunes as an XML file.  The file/song
entries are in the XML version of the database.

2.)  Move the folder to another place and "Add to Library".  iTunes
imports the folder, but I still am unable to see any of the music in
the offending folder.  The ownership and permissions on these files
are the same as other music folders.

Any ideas?

-John