[X4U] OS X won't install on external HD

Cubeistan cubeistaner at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 11:38:08 PDT 2006

Thanks John. I think it was whatever the default choice was, maybe
Journalled or something; but i'll zero all data & use Mac OS Extended, and
report back.
R/
--
rs

On 8/26/06, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:

> On 08/26/06, Cubeistan <cubeistaner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Tried installing OS X 10.4.6 on a Samsung Spinpoint HD in an external FW
> > IDE/SATA enclosure. I erased it with Disk Utility before the
> unsuccessful
> > attempt. Unchecked the option to install Mac OS 9 Drivers and wonder if
> that
> > might have anything to do with it. Get the message 'OS X cannot be
> installed
> > on this disk'.
>
> Which format did you choose when you erased? You need Mac OS Extended. I
> recommend that you erase it again and choose "zero all data" from the
> options
> menu. Then, try reinstalling. I have no problems installing any OS X onto
> my
> three external Seagate FWHDs.

"The true strength of America happens when a neighbor loves a neighbor just
like they'd like to be loved themselves." @- POTUS, Elizabeth, N.J., June
16, 2003